Sunday, September 2, 2012

Afri-Mexi-Greek Couscous Salad

Pin It I wasn't quite sure what to call this...couscous comes from Morocco and northern Algeria (the African part of the title), it has the makings of a Greek salad but I also tossed in some cilantro (Mexican part of the title)...

I found some couscous on sale at Sobeys yesterday for 50 cents per box!  I've never tried couscous before (I don't think), so I thought for that price I could give it a go :)

This is for a single serving - you can adapt accordingly if you are serving more than one person.

Afri-Mexi-Greek Couscous Salad
1/2 cup cooked couscous
handful of diced English cucumber
handful of diced red pepper
handful of diced red onion
handful of cherry tomatoes (quartered)
1 oz Greek feta, crumbled
about a tablespoon of cilantro
2 tsp safflower oil (you could use olive oil, but I happened to have safflower on hand)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (I used honey ginger flavoured, but I'm sure any would work just fine)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together and enjoy!  This was delicious!  I've made a similar "salad" with quinoa before and the taste is quite similar.  I didn't find that the couscous had any real flavour of its own, but rather it took on the flavour of what it was mixed with.

Tonight's salad was served with leftover trout (have I told you lately how much I ADORE trout???), leftover peppers, mushrooms and onions from last night and some steamed broccoli with a new spice I found by Clubhouse Seasoning called Parmesan & Herb, which is DELISH!




0 comments: