Friday, April 13, 2012

What others see when you think they aren't looking

Pin It It's funny how there are some people in your life that you have an effect on and you don't even realize it.  It could be people you work with, people you see on the way to work every day or acquaintances.  I've had a couple of people recently make comments to me that, frankly, surprised me (in a good way!).  One of the ladies who does the weighing in at WW told me a few weeks ago that I'm always so nice and pleasant...my initial thought was "isn't everyone???"  I guess my parents are owed kudos for that, as I was raised to be pleasant to everyone :) Today someone at a very senior level at the company where I work emailed me to tell me that I was an inspiration to them!!  I nearly fell off my chair!  This is a person of great significance at work, but not someone I'd say I was close to, nor did I think I had any great impact on them (personally or professionally).  This is also someone who is incredibly busy, but as it turns out they've been paying attention to my weight loss and they've been inspired by me.  Wow!  And here I didn't even know they were looking :) 

I guess I write this for all of you out there who think you are not making a difference in the lives of those around you.  You ARE!  When you think that the body builder guy lifting five bazillion pound weights is laughing at you huffing and puffing away on the treadmill, what you are not realizing is that there is someone behind you who has just come to the gym for the first time in their life (and is terrified) and who is looking at you MASTERING the treadmill and they are inspired by you (oh, and the guy lifting the weights...he's not really laughing at you....he's probably thinking good for you! or else he's thinking about his biceps...not you ;-).  When you smile and thank the clerk at the grocery store or ask them how they're doing, it might be just normal conversation for you, or the way you were raised, but to that person, you may have been the first smiling face they've seen after a very long day.  So, be aware.  Be aware of how you treat people and know that your kindness is appreciated and noticed by others.  Be aware of the impact that your life has on others and be proud that you are inspiring someone else by something you are doing - raising great kids, being an awesome [insert your profession here], being a super wife/husband, being a great friend, losing weight, exercising, etc.  The list is endless!!

This email from my colleague today meant a lot to me and it has inspired me to be the best me I can be and to push harder to reach my goal....and when I reach this goal, to set another one (not weight related this time!).

Happy Friday everyone.  I hope you live an inspiring weekend :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said and lots to think about for sure...
Sonya