Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cooking up a storm!

Pin It This was supposed to be my gym night, but I decided to do some cooking/baking for the week instead :)  I made Quinoa Apple Muffins and Cauliflower-topped Shepherd's Pie.  Both recipes turned out really good!  The muffins are really dense, so maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them.  They are 4 Points+ and I think well worth it.  The Shepherd's Pie...AMAZING!  The bottom was a basic (I think) shepherd's pie - I used leeks (first time cooking with them!), carrots, red onion, mushrooms, green peas, chipotle peppers, ground beef, various spices and then I mixed a bit of flour with some beef broth to give it a bit of a gravy.  Into my 9x13 pan it went.  For the topping, I steamed cauliflower.  Once cooked til soft, I added 1/4 cup light sour cream and blended it up with my hand blender until it was smooth.  Spread this over the top of the beef mixture and bake at 350-375 for about 30 minutes.  Top with 2 oz light cheddar cheese and broil until cheese is melted and bubbling.  YUMMMMMMM!!!!!

Cooked quinoa mixed with dry ingredients
Quinoa Apple Muffins (ran out of regular muffin
liners, so had to use Halloween ones!)
Cauliflower-Topped Shepherd's Pie

Tonight's supper...yummmy....Shepherd's Pie
with raw veggies and Pete's guacamole
on the side :)