Monday, August 1, 2011

A recipe and a product review!

Pin It
It's been a long time since I posted a product review, but I finally have one to tell you about today.  WW-leader-Fiona told us she had found WW mini baguettes at the Atlantic Superstore near her place and that they are only TWO POINTS+!!  I went to our local Superstore last night and FOUND them!  I had one with my chili (recipe to come) last night for supper and I put a bit of Brummel & Brown spread on it (sorry Canadian folks, it's only available in the US - picked up two tubs of B&B spread on my trip down in May) and it was delicious!  They are about the size of a small hot dog bun (not the split ones, the more rounded hot dog buns) and come in multi grain (with poppy seeds on top).  I'm not much of a bread eater, but these tasted like something that a nice restaurant would put in a basket in front of you when you go out to dinner.  They definitely rate a 5/5 in my books.  They are not cheap - I think they were about $3.69 and there are 6 baguettes in the bag - but that's OK, it'll give me a baguette to take to work with my chili or soup lunches each day this week.  I am thinking that I might even make a mini turkey sandwich out of one.  Yumm...

Ok, now for the chili "recipe".  I plugged it into the recipe builder and it came out to 6 points if I got 10 servings out of the pot, which I did.  Here are the basics, but keep in mind that I did not enter the spices - you'll have to doctor this to your own liking.  Spices I used were:  chipotle chili powder, regular chili powder, cumin, garlic (lots), red pepper flakes, more garlic, more chipotle chili powder and just a touch of salt.  My beans, chickpeas, corn and the big can of tomatoes that I used were all Blue Menu items and were VERY low sodium.  The only non-low-sodium cans I used were the mushrooms (which I rinsed...I rinsed it all except the tomatoes) and my smaller tin of tomatoes, which was the spicy red pepper blend.

This might look like a small serving of chili,
but that bowl is really big!!
Beef Chili

1 pound raw lean ground beef
28 oz canned diced tomatoes
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
½  cup celery
1 can of corn
2 cans mushrooms
19 oz cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup red onion
1 medium green pepper
1 small yellow pepper
19 oz canned black beans
½ cup chopped zucchini

Sauté raw veggies (not corn, mushrooms or tomatoes) in a deep pot (I use cooking spray).  Set aside and scramble fry the hamburger.   Add veggies back in, mix in corn, mushrooms, beans, chickpeas and tomatoes and season to taste.  Simmer for about 30 minutes or until flavours blended.  Makes 10 1 1/2 cup (approx) servings.  Enjoy!


* Reviews expressed on this blog are for informational purposes only.  I am not paid to provide these reviews, I am merely expressing an opinion (good or bad) on a product I have tried.





















   

3 comments:

Carbie Girl said...

mm...chili.. AND bread! Breads always been my weakness, i just noticed actual hot dog buns in the "slim which" version yesterday at my local grocer. Though the baguettes look tastier! Thanks for sharing the chili recipe!

Tanya said...

I'm not a fan of those slim buns...I find they have a funny taste to them - these baguettes would make nice hotdog buns though :)

Anonymous said...

Those look soooo good!