Sunday, August 14, 2011

An old companion has died

Pin It This companion has been with me through thick and thin (literally...well, almost thin) and has been a constant sidekick for the past nearly two years.  Sadly this companion has recently failed me.  I guess I never questioned it's loyalty - I took it for granted that it was being honest with me over the years.  I guess part of me wanted to believe it was telling the truth...



My Weight Watchers food scale (circa sometime in the last 15 years or so) has begun lying to me.  I discovered it last night as I was weighing out shrimp for supper.  The amount I was weighing seemed to be an awful lot of shrimp compared to what it was saying on the scale.  After doing this for nearly two years (this time), you come to know the look of certain measurements of food (although I never rely on sight - I weigh/measure everything) - this did NOT look right.  I re-weighed it and got a different measurement.  Weighed it again and got yet another one!  How long has this been lying to me???  As you may recall, I've been struggling a lot lately with slow losses and most recently with gains (two weeks in a row).  I am hoping that this lying, cheating scale is partly to blame!  So I will head off to WW tomorrow after work to pick myself up a new scale.  I sure wish this one had died a few months back when I had a coupon for the new WW scale!!!  Grrr  I debated buying one from Canadian Tire, but the price is not that different from the WW one, so I might as well stick with the WW brand...it has (for the most-part) been good to me over the years :)  Even though I suspect that this may be the problem with my gains, I am still planning to follow the "staggering my points" plan this week as suggested by a friend of mine.  If this doesn't work (combined with a new scale), then next week my plan is to try the simply filling technique - if I don't lose my mind by then!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you figured out your scale was lying to you. Now, you can use the updated scale and it'll tell you the truth. I love the new WW scales. I used mine all the time.

I've thought about the simply filling technique but I'm scared not to count my points. I feel like I'll eat way too much. Let us know if you end up trying that.

Good luck with your new scale :)

Tanya said...

I know! I'm scared of the simply filling too!! I feel like I need the structure of the poins. We'll see what this week brings with the new scale. Won't be buying the new WW just yet - a friend of mine loaned me a scale she'd bought and hadn't used yet, so I'll try that for a week or so and will hope that scales go on sale somewhere! I'll keep you posted :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya,

I have a $5 off coupon for the WW electronic food scale that you can have (I already have one). I can bring it to Saturday's meeting if you are interested.

Erika

Tanya said...

Aww, thanks Erika!! You're sure you don't want to hang onto it in case yours dies like mine did?? If not, I really appreciate it :) (well, I appreciate it either way, but if you're sure you won't use it, I'll gladly take it off your hands!) THANKS!!

Brandi said...

I just went to my ob/gyn today and was talking to her about weight loss and BMI stuff. I was up 6lbs since last summer...though I only officially go by my scale at home. I go up/down 5 lbs...IT IS WHAT I DO. I told her I wasn't able to get below a certain weight and even staying at it is super hard. I've been doing WW for 1.5 yrs and this has got to be the longest plateau in history. She said it wasn't uncommon and suggested weight training. I hate weights. I know I need to do them, but I still hate it. I'm already at the lowest pts available...before I have staggered my extra weekly points or used a certain amount every day instead of saving them for a meal out. Just not sure. I cannot workout more than I am...

Tanya said...

I totally hear you about weight training - I DETEST it!!! But my trainer has told me the same thing :( I'm at the lowest points level now too... I started strength training last week and have committed to twice a week...are you with me Brandi??? :)