Monday, July 25, 2011

What is SHE doing here?

Pin It For those of you who attend Weight Watchers or something similar, have you ever looked at someone at your meeting and wondered to yourself "why in the world is she here?? she doesn't need to lose weight!!!"?  I have to admit, I've been guilty of that in the past.  A few weeks ago, the leader at WW pointed this prejudice out to us - what we don't always think of is the fact that these "skinny" folks used to be bigger.  These are more than likely people who are at goal - maybe even lifetime members!  As I've mentioned in the past, this particular meeting that I go to has a TON of lifetime members who attend on a regular basis.  Never, in all my WW attempts, have I been aware of lifetime members until I started attending this meeting on Saturday mornings.  I would guess that we have at least 6-8 lifetime members (at goal) who attend on a weekly basis.  This is so encouraging! 

So the next time you see someone at a meeting - remember this:  you don't know their story - you might think they only have 5 pounds (or NO pounds) to lose and don't NEED Weight Watchers, but you don't know where they've come from (maybe they've already lost 50 pounds before you met them)!  I guess this brings us back to what we learned in grade school - you can't judge a book by its cover.

4 comments:

downsizers said...

I have done that as well and even looked at these people with disdain. Who do they think they are? They are here and can cross their legs and wear small sizes - there ought to be a law! Self-examination would reveal that I resented their success If I'm fat, everyone must be fat was my attitude. They were living proof right in my face that it could be done and was a stark reminder of my lack of commitment and my lack of self-discipline. I now celebrate those who get to their goal weights and stay there. I will be along one of these days. Thanks for showing me what success looks like.

Tanya said...

That is totally how I feel! If they can do it, so can we!!!

Carbie Girl said...

Great post!! I've never been to a WW meeting but I'm thinking once I get to my toughest plateau (usually at 199 lbs) I may give them a shot!

Tanya said...

Good luck!!!