Sunday, July 24, 2011

The girl in the corner

Pin It Today at Weight Watchers my leader (Fiona) talked to me again about working for Weight Watchers once I get to Lifetime status.  Part of me LOVES the idea.  Part of me is terrified!  Deep down I can see myself being a leader - but then there's the part of me that is afraid of public speaking :)  I used to be the girl who went to WW and sat in the corner and didn't say a word...or worse yet, did not stay for the meeting at all.  This time around I sit in the second row and participate willingly (so not me!).  I think over the years I've come out of my shell a bit.  Perhaps I can work up to actual public speaking... hmmmm.  Fiona told me that WW provides training for you and you can work as much or as little as you like - that's good as I can't see myself giving up my full time job for this, but Fiona offers a great point - working (even PT) for WW is an amazing way to keep your weigh in check once you get to maintenance.

The more I think about this, the more excited I get.  I've known for a while now that I am meant to do something with what I've learned over these past almost two years.  To get to goal and then do nothing to pay it forward seems like a waste.  I really feel that it's important for kids to learn the values of healthy eating and I can see me doing something along those lines...although I don't believe that WW is the place for kids...I'm just spit-balling here - no real plans, but I do have thoughts and ideas in my head.  Some have suggested I write a book - or at least an article for WW magazine.  Not sure about either of these as I'm not really a writer - I just write here and it's all very informal.  I do enjoy writing though...so long as I have an idea of what to write about :)

I think one thing I will do to get ready for the possibility of becoming a WW leader is to take a course in presentation skills.  There is one offered through Harvard Manage Mentor (Harvard Business Publishing) as part of the HR course I am taking which will count towards my certificate - two birds, one stone, yay!

Anyone out there worked for WW or any other weight loss companies before?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it Tanya! You are an inspiration to those in your circle of influence and will be an inspiration to others you meet in the future. Your journey has been one ultimately of success but there have been struggles and set backs enroute and the reality of your journey will help others on their road to health. You have already taught yourself to write with this blog and it can be the basis for an article or book...your outline is here.
There is no one who can motivate others as much as one who has walked the road before them.
The opportunity to work for WW is an open door! Go for it!

Brenda Joudrey

Tanya said...

Aww, thanks Brenda!! :)

Anonymous said...

I think you should go for it. Look at the inspiration you give your blog readers - why not give it to people at the meetings in your own community? YOu have an incredible story, you have been there before - you're the best WW leader there could ever be. You'll figure out the public speaking part - because you will be speaking from the heart, it will all fall together. Don't let obstacles stop you, obviously you haven't during this journey or you wouldn't be where you are. GO FOR IT!

Carbie Girl said...

I agree with the above ladies! If you're getting excited by just the thought of it then go for it :0) I've often thought of writing a book after everything I've put myself through but its a mere thought, this is your opportunity and from there who knows what other opportunities await u! As a side note, I also wanna personally say thanks for the comment u left about my aunt passing :0)

Tanya said...

Thank you ladies! Such encouraging words :)

Carbie Girl - you are most welcome ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya!

I think you should definitely consider becoming a WW leader! You'd be great at it. You're a people person, approachable and you've got a great story. And it's not really public speaking in the same way as giving a speech or trying to sell something - after all, the people there all want to lose weight and hear what you have to say! And WW gives training and sets the topics for each week, etc. Plus, being someone with a lot of weight to lose myself, it's a lot more motivating to hear from someone who's lost more than like 12 pounds. Somehow that struggle (and I know it can be) just doesn't seem the same. And you could use the extra pocket money for new clothes or financing travel!

Shondi

Tanya said...

Great points, thanks Shondi!! I like the idea of extra $ for shopping/travel :)