Monday, June 27, 2011

Why am I fat?

Pin It
It seems that on all of the weight loss programs, in all the books, on all the podcasts I listen to related to weight loss, there is one general theme I've noticed.  We are fat for a reason that doesn't have anything to do with food or lack of movement.  Why are we fat then?  I understand some people had terrible childhoods, come from dysfunctional families, have had serious tragedies in life.  I keep looking back on my childhood and wonder what my trigger point was that caused me to start gaining weight.  For the life of me, I can't figure it out!  I grew up with two loving parents and had a very normal (I think!) childhood.  No real tragedies that I can think of.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about not having tragedies, nor am I complaining that I had a normal childhood - believe me, I am very grateful for this!  My concern is that if I never figure out the WHY, that the weight could sneak back on.  Am I alone in this mystery?  Are there others out there who don't KNOW why they're fat?  I listen to Jillian Michaels and when she has callers on the phone she usually will ask them why they're fat... she never accepts the "I don't know" answer.... but really and truly, I DON'T know.  ..

Thoughts

6 comments:

downsizers said...

I have pondered that as well. I have decided I don't have to know. I will still have to do the same things to lose the weight whether I know or not. I am going to quit trying to find someone or something to blame and just get on with it. It may not be a trigger event at all but just a gradual slipping into self-indulgence.

Tanya said...

Good point.. I guess I'm not so much looking for someone or something to blame, but rather looking for the root of the issue so I will recognize the symptoms and grab hold of things before I get out of control again :-)

Unknown said...

I've wondered the same thing. I don't think it has to be something as traumatic as others have been through. I'm in the same boat but I have seen some things inside of me that I think play a part in my weight problems. But they are really tiny things that have shaped me to who I am today. "IF" these things have caused me to be fat they have also caused me to grow up to be the person I am and I'm perfectly okay with who that is.

Sometimes I also think that in todays society we are just looking for someone or something to blame for our own failings. That way we don't have to take responsibility for our actions.

Anonymous said...

I am who I am because of me! There is no one to blame but myself. So I must accept that fact and learn from it. me, Ann

Ldswoman said...

Lately I've realized that I sabatoge (sp) my self with one word. Entitlement. Whenever I think I am going to stop eating like a pig today, a little voice in my head says "I want that piece of chocolate. And another one. And another one". and then that want takes over because, after all, it's MY body and I can eat like a pig if I want to! So what ends up happening is my mind says "oh no you don't" (the voice of reason) while my body says "oh yes I can. I don't have to diet if I don't want to! I can have that chocolate because I can!!! I'm entitled to it! I work hard!"....blah blah blah. I just realized how serious this all is. I don't want diabetes or heart problems or to have a stroke or fatty liver or who knows what else...but the way I'm going, is there anything stopping it? I need to turn off that voice of entitlement.

Tanya said...

Ldswoman - I can totally relate!!