Tuesday, June 28, 2011

There is no finish line

Pin It
This is a big truth that I think a lot of us need to accept.  In this journey of healthy living, weight loss, fitness - whatever your journey is - there is no finish line.  All too often I've started this journey with an end in sight... clearly not near-sight, but a definitive end nonetheless.  I think that's the difference with this time.  I finally had my "Oprah aha moment" and realized that there is no end.

There are goals along the road (one of them being getting to my ultimate healthy weight goal), but this is a continuous journey that I am on for the rest of my life.  Along the way I will set new goals - maybe running a 5K or trying new things (zip-lining has been intriguing me lately!), but ultimately I need to keep my eye on the prize and the prize is being healthy.  Living a healthy lifestyle is a daily choice I will make every day for the rest of my life - like putting on my seat belt in the car.  I don't just do it on long journeys and then hope for the best when I jot across town - I wear it every time.  The same can be said for healthy eating and exercise.  I can't just do these things until I get to my healthy weight goal and then stop.  That would be silly and counterproductive to say the least.

I've always chuckled when people say that such-and-such a diet doesn't work - the minute they go off it, they gain the weight back.  Well duh!  I think that's why it's important to choose a weight loss / healthy living regime that you can live with for the rest of your life.  Find one that works for you and gives you the flexibility to enjoy the things you love (um...chocolate?).  For me, that's Weight Watchers, but you have to choose the plan that works for you.  Brand-name programs aside, I do think it's crucial to find a program that demands accountability (weekly weigh ins) and that provides support (meetings, counselor, etc.).  Find others on a similar journey to run the race with you, but remember that you can't make anyone do this except YOU.  You can encourage others and others can encourage you, but ultimately it's a personal choice that only you can make for yourself.

0 comments: