Thursday, June 2, 2011

Great deprivation breeds great entitlement...and a summer challenge

Pin It
I heard this quote on the Jillian Michaels podcast yesterday (sorry, I don't recall who said it - it was either Jillian herself or Bob Harper who was making a guest appearance).  It really rung true with me.  I think all too often we look at dieting as deprivation.  No sweets, no fats, no carbs, etc.  Then we get cocky and start to think we DESERVE these things.  The same could be said for getting fed up with the whole diet mentality and, again, thinking we deserve these things.  We can justify any entitlement, can't we?  It amazes me more and more each day the sense of entitlement that we, as humans, have.  I think this is a world-wide problem that is growing in epic proportions.  Not just around food - we are entitled to things at work (pay, vacation, recognition, etc.), we are entitled to eat certain foods, we are entitled to the "right of way" on the road.  Ultimately the only person suffering from our sense of entitlement is us.  Am I making sense?

I think if we try to live a more balanced life this could help - allow treats on a somewhat regular (portioned) basis, be thankful we have a job that does offer us time off, instead of assuming we have the right away on the road, why not let someone else in (even if they don't signal!!)? 

OK, that's my rant on that subject.

Some of you may have noticed (if you're reading this on my blog vs google reader or similar) that I have joined a challenge.  Slimmer This Summer begins on Monday and runs until August 28th.  I'm super excited!  I decided this week that I need to really kick things up.  I'm in touch with Kelli, my trainer and am working on having more regular PT sessions with her.  I want her to kick my butt (hope you're reading this Kelli...I'm ready for you!!) 

Here are my goals:
  1. Lose 20 pounds (ideally I would like to lose the 30.7 pounds to get to goal, but I want to be realistic)
  2. Work out 5 days per week (my WW week starts on Saturday)
  3. By the end of the challenge, I want to be able to run one full mile, not stopping to walk!
  4. Drink 80-100 ounces per day (I'll need my floaties I think)
  5. Challenge myself food-wise each week (sugar-free treat week, no artificial foods/sweeteners week, maybe even a vegetarian week!
  6. I want to get that exercise high that I hear everyone talk about...does it really exist?  I want to CRAVE exercise.
Wish me luck!

Tanya

15 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Love the goals! I so GET what you mean by the exercise "high". I've never felt it and I want to CRAVE it too like people talk about. I just don't GET it yet, exercise is still something that I dislike. We need to get over it and DO it!

I know what you mean by the 'deprivation diet' problem. That's what I originally based my recipe blog about, the fact that you can eat GOOD food and not feel deprived.

Vegetarian week would be easy for me, I love eating that way and feel I only make meat out of habit or because the husband wants it. I wish you well!! :-)

Tanya said...

Thanks Debbi! Hopefully we will find this elusive exercise high soon! Looking forward to the challenge :-)

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

I don't know if I've gotten the "high", but I have gotten some exercise euphoria at times, where I just want to go and go and go and not stop and feel like all's right with the world and I'm Wonder Woman and laugh and feel good. Is that it?

If not, it's still pretty damn good. Not every time, mind you, but if I push myself and boom, there it is.

Tanya said...

Yes, that's it!! That's what I want...the desire to keep on going :-)

downsizers said...

I like the sense of entitlement story. That rings so true. We can be such whiners can't we? Let's get tough with ourselves and understand that being hungry is not fatal; we have extra meals stored on our hips, thighs, etc.

Tanya said...

Hahaha, good point!

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen! I am doing the Summer Slim Down Challenge also and saw your blog posted on Debbi does dieting. I wanted to drop by and say hi. I am your newest follower! Good luck with week one!! I would love to have you drop by www.colieskitchen.com

Tanya said...

Thanks Nicole! I'll pop over to your blog now :-)

Empty Nester said...

Great goals! I've joined the challenge as well! Good luck!

Lizzie said...

Oh boy...that sense of entitlement! I sure know a lot about that! One of the things that I like about the plan I'm doing (17 Day) is that eventually you get three eat-what-you-want-but-don't-go-insane meals a week. That seems like a way I could live permanently.

Anyway--I'm totally impressed with your weight loss! Keep up the good work.

Tanya said...

Thanks everyone! I've never had so many blogger comments before!! Good luck with the challenge everyone!

The Fat Foreigner said...

You mentioned food goal week, maybe you could have a week where you try a new form of exercise every day? That way you could hit upon something you love and 'find the high' as it were.

Tanya said...

Great idea! I've got shoulder tendonitis/impingement, so my exercise is somewhat limited right now, but I'm anxious to get back to swimming, water aerobics (how I hurt my shoulder to begin with!) and some new classes at the gym once it's healed. They are offering Aqua Zumba and Hydrorider classes at my gym as of the end of this month :-)

Anonymous said...

Excellent set of realistic goals Tanya ! Looking forward to following you in the STS Challenge.

You look AMAZING, congrats on your weightloss thus far !

Have a wonderful day !

Tanya said...

Thanks!!