Friday, January 21, 2011

High fibre onions?

Pin It
Tonight I made Hungry Girl's Lord of the Onion Rings 2.0 recipe.  They were fairly easy to make, although a tad messy.  I think I should have cut the onions a bit thicker and I may have overcooked them a bit.  Overall, they were very good.  I would give them a 4/5 on my rating scale.  I suppose I could have given them a 5/5 but 1) I am not a HUGE onion ring person and 2) they were a bit dry (possibly due to the overcooking).  For the spices, I added onion and garlic powders plus chipotle chili powder.  I'm curious about other recipes that use Fibre 1 (in the US it's spelled Fiber One...the reversing of the r and e I can see...but wonder why the 1 to one?) cereal.  I now have a whole box of it to use and NO, I will not be eating it as "regular cereal"!  I'm OK with bran cereal IN things, but not alone...way too soggy...and I don't like it in yogurt either.  Suggestions anyone?

I realized as I was downloading the photos of supper tonight that I had forgotten to post photos of my Stuffed Pepper Soup I made last weekend!  Basically it's my Barley Stuffed Pepper recipe, but I chopped the peppers (5), added some chicken broth and water and left out the cheese.  I got 9 bowls of soup out of it and they were 5 points+ each.  I leave you with a photo :-)

7 comments:

Scooter said...

Hi
I am new here. The soup looked delicious, WOW!! You are almost at the end of your weight loss!! I am beginning, so if you have any tips, let me know. YOu can find my blog at www.shrinkadink.blogspot.com

Diana

Tanya said...

Hi Diana,

Welcome! The soup was good, I must say :-) I'm not really almost at the end of my journey I'm afraid - my goal on my ticker is my goal of reaching 100lbs lost - I need to lose (according to WW) another 36 or so pounds beyond that. Not sure if I'll go that low or if I'll discuss it with my doctor and ask her to lower my goal for me...we'll see.

Tips...hmmm, realize now that this is not a diet. This is your new way of life, so make it something you will enjoy. Try new things, treat yourself (daily if that's what you need), but make sure you eat all of your daily requirements (healthy oils, dairy, water, protein, etc.) and that you eat ENOUGH each day - if you don't eat enough, your body may not lose weight like you want - we need a certain number of calories to keep our metabolism going. Enlist the help of friends - keep blogging (I'm headed over now to check out your blog), take pictures AND measurements and don't always rely on the number on the scale. That's all I can think of for now :-) Good luck!!

TMLfans.ca said...

Hey there fellow Canuck! I use Fibre 1 cereal as a coating for chicken. I dip a chicken breast in egg whites, then put it in a baggie with some cereal and shake it. Then I cook them in the oven. They taste awesome! Cheers, Rick

Tanya said...

Thanks for the idea Rick! Do you season the cereal?

Brandi {1 of 2} said...

I use grated parmesan cheese with spices as a coating. I eat low carb, so I don't know how that would work for you, but I thought I'd toss the idea out there. If it's something you could use with other meals, it'd be better than buying a box of cereal for one use.

Tanya said...

That sounds good Brandi. I already bought the cereal (it was on sale and conveniently there are two smaller bags inside the box to keep it fresher longer). I might try adding a bit of parmesan to the cereal mix and coating my chicken with it though...yummm

Scooter said...

Thanks for dropping by. The cereal and parmesan cheese are both great ideas. I can wait to have chicken to try them out Yum!!

Diana