Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fruit, glorious fruit

Pin It For those of you who know me well, you know that fruit is not one of my favorite foods.  I'm a banana/apple kinda girl and even the apples don't thrill me unless they're the "good" apples (or in a pie or something).  I used to love strawberries (in fact, still do), but developed an allergy to them in my 20s so can no longer eat them :-(  I am more of a veggie person - oh, and a chocolate person, mustn't forget the chocolate.  Well, last night I tried a different kind of smoothie (I'm a smoothie newbie of sorts).  I'd been making them with OJ and fruit, but it KILLS me to spend 3 points+ on juice.  Last night I decided I was going to use a cup of skim milk instead of the OJ and see how it went.  It was delish!!  So this morning for breakfast I had my usual oatmeal, 2 tsp PB and 2/3 banana (4 points+) and then I made another smoothie - 1 cup skim milk, 1 cup frozen raspberries, 1 cup frozen mango and 1/3 banana, bit of splenda and some no-sugar added syrup (both zero points+) and some vanilla.  YUM!!  My whole breakfast was only 6 points+!  AND...I've achieved my fruit/veggie quota for the day.  All in one meal.  I know I'll have more veg later in the day, but I thought it was kind of funny that it's not even 9am and I've had 5 fruit servings today...could make for an interesting day...we'll see!


6 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Peanut butter in oatmeal, really? I'll definitely be trying that one - sounds good.

Tanya said...

PB in oatmeal is amazing! I usually have PB, oatmeal, a bit of my no sugar added syrup and either a cut up apple or a banana added in...yummm sometimes I add cinnamon too.

Jen said...

Hi Tanya,
I've just picked up some steel cut oats from the bulk barn but I'm not sure how much I should have for a serving. The info from the bulk barn says a serving size is 100g and is 10 points plus! How much do you usually have for your serving and how many points do you track for it?

I just picked up those same wraps from Pete's today, I'm looking forward to having one for tomorrow's lunch

Tanya said...

Hi Jen

It's been a while since I had steel cut oats. Seems to me 1/4 cup dry is 4 points+. Right now I'm just using real large flake oats (1/3 cup is 3 points). I think I may cook up some steel cut oats this week now that you bring them up ;-)

Enjoy the wrap! I was a bit let down by the size of these ones - usually I get the tomato basil ones and they're much larger. I'm going to bring my points calculator with me next time to see if there is a difference in point values between the two and if not, I'll go back to the tomato basil ones.

Brandi {1 of 2} said...

I just wanted to tell you that I gave you a Stylish Blogger award on my page. =)

Tanya said...

Awww!!! I've never gotten an award before!! What do I do with it? THANK YOU!!!!