Thursday, December 2, 2010

Once we sowed wild oats...now we cook them in the microwave

Pin It
Somebody asked me today if oatmeal was good for weight loss.  I thought that was a great question!  I guess I KNOW that it's good for weight loss, but I never really stopped and thought about why.  I know it keeps me full, it's low in calories and high in fibre and, now that I eat the "real" stuff, it's unprocessed.  I thought I would list some of the health benefits I've found:

1.lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. According to Quaker, all it takes is 3/4 cup of oatmeal each day to help lower cholesterol. The soluble fiber in oats helps remove LDL or "bad" cholesterol, while maintaining the good cholesterol that your body needs.

2.The soluble fiber in oatmeal absorbs a considerable amount of water which significantly slows down your digestive process. This result is that you'll feel full longer.

3.New research suggests that eating oatmeal may reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes. The soluble fiber in these foods help to control blood glucose levels.

4.With the exception of certain flavored varieties, the oats found in your grocery store are 100% natural. If you look at the ingredients on a canister of rolled oats, you will usually see only one ingredient... rolled oats.

5.According to recent studies, a diet that includes oatmeal may help reduce high blood pressure. The reduction is linked to the increase in soluble fiber provided by oatmeal. Oats contain more soluble fiber than whole wheat, rice or corn.
6.Oatmeal contains a wide array of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and is a good source of protein, complex carbohydrates and iron.

7.The fiber and other nutrients found in oatmeal may actually reduce the risk for certain cancers.

8.Oatmeal is quick and convenient. Every type of oatmeal can be prepared in a microwave oven. I make the "real" rolled oats (not the quick ones) and they take 90 seconds in the microwave...the steel cut ones take longer, but are good re-heated, so I make enough for a few days when I make that one.
9.Oatmeal can be absolutely delicious! Whether instant, cooked on the stove or baked in the oven, the combination of flavors you can fit into a serving of oatmeal is limited only by the imagination.

Ways I eat my oats:

I usually start with 1/3 cup of dry oatmeal + slightly less than 3/4 cup cold water in a cereal bowl and I nuke it for 90 seconds (keep an eye on it - if you have slightly too much water, it will bubble over the side of the bowl!!)

Add in 1:
banana, sliced
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp smuckers no sugar added syrup (for sweetness...10 calories per Tbsp)

Add in 2:
apple, diced (with skins!)
1 Tbsp PB
1 Tbsp smuckers

Add in 3:
apple, diced
1 tsp crushed pecans
1 tsp peanut butter OR 1 1tsp brown sugar
dash of cinnamon (you can add this to any of these)

If I am making steel cut oats, I make a big pot at the start of the week and eat it for 3-4 days - I usually cook this on the stove top (takes about 25 mins) and then reheat throughout the week - tastes just as good as when it's fresh.  You can add any of the above combos to the steel cut oats too.  Another good add-in for these is frozen raspberries or some sugar free jam of your choice.

This is such an easy and delicious breakfast!  I eat it probably 99% of the time.  I usually have it with a large glass of water (if you add lots of fibre, don't forget to add lots of water to keep things "going"!)

Well folks, there's my take on Oatmeal.  The wild oats of my life :-) 

Oh, I almost forgot - don't be afraid to buy your oats (steel cut or rolled) at the Bulk Barn (or similar bulk store).  A canister of steel cut oats at Superstore is $3.99 - for about $1.75 you can get twice as much at the bulk barn!  Just make sure if you are buying the rolled oats that you don't get the quick oats (they're too mushy in my opinion...and not as filling).  I usually buy the large flake oats.

0 comments: