Saturday, November 20, 2010

An ode to my support system

Pin It I started this day, as I do most days, thankful for the support system that I have in my life.  This is only solidified by the response each week to my postings on Facebook about my losses (and gains!). 

I guess I know other people don't have great support systems, but until I watched this week's episode of The Biggest Loser, I never realized just how bad it is for some people.  This week the contestants received videos from home to keep them motivated...all but one girl.  The producers had reached out to her family to send in a video, but never received a response.  I felt devastated for Ada.  I just could not imagine having my family shun me like that!  Being on The Biggest Loser must be so difficult and then to know that you have nobody at home rooting for you...so sad.  I cried my heart out for her.  In the end, the other 7 contestants created a video for her telling her how much they loved, supported and admired her.  She has done a truly amazing job and is a big inspiration. 

I guess all this to say that I realized today even MORE how much I value my support system.  My family (even my 7 and 10 year old nieces!), friends (long-term and new ones), people at my church, my co-workers, my neighbours, people at Weight Watchers, my blog readers (I know there's SOMEONE out there!!) - you all mean so much to me and your support matters more to me than you will ever know.  I am so blessed to have such an amazing support system and I never take it for granted.  There is no way I could do this alone - you know what they say, "it takes a village"!  It's not just one avenue of support that keeps me going, it's all of them together - the friends and family combined with the WW system (healthy eating, NOT a diet!).  I've also made new friends on this journey - online and in person and I even have a follower on my blog now!  I've even had people tell me that I am an inspiration to THEM!  I don't think I've ever been an inspiration to others...how amazing is that?! 

I'm feeling very pumped up today.  I lost 2.2lbs this week and am 1.2lbs away from 90lbs gone and I am hoping and praying that I will reach it next Saturday.  Last night my oldest niece gave me a bedtime hug and whispered in my ear "my arms go all the way around you" and I teased her and told her that her arms must have grown longer and she looks at me and says "ORRRR you got skinnier!"  I love my girls!

This week will be a struggle as I have two planned meals out, plus I am out of town for work Thurs and part of Fri and I find eating away from the comfort of home very difficult...where I used to LOVE to eat out, now I dread it (unless it's Swiss Chalet or McDonald's [salads, not Big Macs!]) as there is always that lack of control...oh well, at least the hotel has a nice gym and a pool that I can use - no excuses!!!

2 comments:

The Incredible Shrinking Woman said...

You totally inspire me, T! Don't doubt it for a SECOND! (or I will hunt you down on FB and tell you otherwise! lol)

And I know what you mean about the salads at McD's. That grilled southwest is my constant go-to fast food choice. I know what's in it, and I know I can eat that (and possibly snag a couple of french fries that fall into the bottom of the bag. GRIN) and still come out OK in the morning when I settle with my evil scale. Love that!!!

Keep it up, girl! You are doing AMAZING!!!!

Tanya said...

Awww, thanks!! And that's my fav McD's salad too!! Love the Thai one as well, but the southwest is more filling/long lasting.