Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chicken a la Tanya

Pin It
I set out to make Chicken a la King tonight...upon starting to cook I realized I didn't have any mushrooms...that's OK, I'll substitute canned peas :-) Then I didn't have pimentos...that's OK, I have fire roasted red peppers...anyways, the long and the short of it was, I made up my own recipe! Picture is my supper, which I've just started eating - yum!! Will post the recipe later.

Here is the recipe (please note - all measurements are approximate...I really didn't measure anything!)

Tanya a la King

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 Can of peas (drained, but leave a bit of juice in)
1/2 Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
1 Can of vegetable broth with onions (any broth will do)
4 Cooked/chopped chicken breasts
2 Roasted red peppers chopped (I used the ones from the jar)
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
3 cups hot cooked rice

Melt butter in big pot (I used my Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Cook pepper in butter, stirring occasionally, until bell peppers are tender.

Stir in flour, salt and pepper, and add broth if it’s too sticky. Cook over medium heat until mixed; remove from heat. Stir in milk and remaining broth. Add more milk as needed. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes and cheese. Stir in chicken; cook until hot. Serve over rice.

1 comments:

Shondi said...

I'm so proud of you for going 'freestyle' in the kitchen!